For years, the fluorescent tube was the number one choice for lighting indoor commercial spaces. They have quality light output and decent lifespans. However, LED tube lights are an increasingly popular alternative to fluorescent tubes, due to a number of economical and environmental reasons.
Let’s take a look at the benefits of using LED tube lights:
- Better efficiency – LEDs are around 30% more efficient than fluorescents.
- Less expensive to run – saving up to 65% on energy bills.
- Lifespan – LEDs last up to 30,000 hours which is 3x longer than standard fluorescent tubes (10,000 – 12,000 hours), this can help to save money on maintenance and replacement costs.
- Quality lighting – LEDs produce light in a variety of colour temperatures similar to fluorescents, but without the flickering issues.
- Environmental – Unlike fluorescents, LEDs contain no mercury. This means they are easy to recycle and do not need to be specially disposed of.
- Directional Lighting – LEDs offer directional light with a beam angle of 240 degrees, as opposed to fluorescents which have multi-directional light, this means some light is lost in the fixtures and other unnecessary places.
Although the initial costs of LED tube lights may be higher than that of fluorescent, the savings that could be made over a long term period are substantial. Have a look at our comparison chart below, to see how much you could save!
If you have a conventional magnetic ballast, just remove the starter from your fixture, and replace it with the LED starter. The LED starter is included with the LED tubes.
If you have an electronic ballast, you don’t need a starter, but you will need to rewire and bypass the ballast. We advise you to contact a professional electrician to help you. To avoid this procedure, we advise you to chose one of our LED tubes available in 2FT, 4FT and 5FT, specifically designed to work with electronic ballasts with no need to rewire..