Earth Day takes places every year on April 22nd and if you have used Google today, which I am sure you have, you will have seen their doodle celebrating it. I bet you didn’t pay it much attention though.
The purpose of the day is to try to encourage people to become more environmentally friendly, or at least make them aware of the impact they can have on the environment. This might mean arranging a local green project to clean an area up, or something simpler like recycling food waste or changing old CFL bulbs to more efficient LED lamps. You can find out more about taking action, on the Earth Day website.
Here’s 5 things you need to know about Earth Day:
- The network includes over 22,000 organisations worldwide.
- It was actually renamed by the UN in 2009 as International Mother Earth Day. The shorter version still remains the more popular moniker though.
- It attracts a number of celebrities to host concerts and events, to promote awareness of this day around the world. Will.I.Am is one of the hosts this year.
- Earth Day was founded by former US Senator Gaylord Nelson after a massive oil spill in Santa Barbara, 1969. The first was held on April 22nd, 1970 in America.
- It is widely credited as being the beginning of the modern environmental movement.
To find out more about Earth Day you can visit the website here – https://www.earthday.org/