For many years, the fluorescent tube was the number one choice for lighting indoor commercial spaces.
They have quality light output and decent lifespans. However, LED tube lights are an increasingly popular alternative to fluorescent tubes, due to a number of economic and environmental reasons.
Let’s take a look at the benefits of using LED tube lights:
1. Better efficiency – LED light tubes are around 30% more efficient than fluorescents. Actually, they can be the most energy-efficient lights you will find because their effectiveness reaches the impressive 80-90%. It means that a vast majority is turned into light instead of the heat. When it comes to incandescent bulbs, they use as much as 80% of their energy to produce heat, so their effectiveness counts only 20%. You are free to put LED tubes all over your apartment or house, and even just after a year, you will notice that it was an excellent investment.
2. Less expensive to run – LED tubes allow you to save up to 65% on energy bills. For example, a LED bulb will use as little as 5 watts of power to produce the same amount of light that a filament bulb would do with 40 watts being used for this purpose. Therefore, after installing the LED tube light, you will definitely notice the difference in your bills in the next months.
3. Lifespan – A LED lights tube can last up to 30,000 hours which is three times longer than a standard fluorescent tube (10,000 – 12,000 hours), this can help to save the money you had to spend to maintain or replace the lights. When used typically (meaning six to eight hours per day), a LED tube can last as long as up to fifteen years. What is more, they do not burn out as time goes by, as it is the case with incandescents and halogens. Also, they do not lose brightness as you use them – they work the same up to the point when they need replacing.
4. Quality lighting – LEDs produce light in a variety of colour temperatures similar to fluorescents, but without the flickering issues. Moreover, to achieve various shades or colours of incandescents, you have to use filters or gels that can fade or even burn out after some time. When it comes to LED tubes, you can search for many different colours and temperatures without any upgrades being necessary. It is because in this case, to change the colour, it is the actual diode or its phosphorus coating what the producer needs to replace. Hence, you can be sure that the shade will not change during the whole time when LED tubes are used.
5. Environmental – Unlike their fluorescent counterparts, LED tubes contain no mercury. This means they are easy to recycle and do not need to be specially disposed of. Also, the greenhouse gas emission is smaller in the case of LED tubes when compared to incandescent and fluorescent ones. To be exact, they produce the same luminosity with emitting 80% fewer greenhouse gases which is very significant to people who search for solutions that can help us to save the planet.
6. Directional Lighting – LED tubes offer directional light with a beam angle of 240 degrees, as opposed to fluorescent tubes which have multi-directional light, this means some light is lost in the fixtures and other unnecessary places (such as the ceiling).
Although the initial costs of LED tubes may be higher than that of fluorescent tubes, the savings that could be made over a long term period are substantial.
If you have a conventional magnetic ballast, just remove the starter from your fixture, and replace it with the LED starter. The LED starter is included with the LED tubes.
If you have an existing electronic ballast, you do not need a starter, but you will have to rewire and bypass the ballast.
We advise you to contact a professional electrician to help you. To avoid this procedure, we encourage you to choose one of our LED tubes available in 2FT, 4FT, and 5FT, specifically designed to work with electronic ballasts with no need to rewire.
In case you had any problem with figuring out which product is best for you, feel free to contact our team!