LED vs. Fluorescent – Which is best? and why?
Fluorescent tubes have provided a cost-effective way for businesses to light their premises for many years. However, recently there has been a major shift towards more energy-efficient, environmentally-friendly LED technology. Here we look at LED vs. Fluorescent Lighting and all the factors you should consider when choosing which lights are best for your business.
How they work
Fluorescent tubes and LED tubes both use two very different forms of technology. In order to make an informed decision on which one is best for your business, we must first look at how both light sources work.
- Fluorescent tubes
These long glass tubes use a small amount of low pressure mercury-vapor gas that uses fluorescence to produce visible light. An electric current, passed into metal caps at either end of the tube, excites the mercury vapor which produces short-wave ultraviolet light that then causes a phosphorous powder on the inside of the bulb to glow.
LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. Unlike fluorescent tubes, LEDs don’t contain any gasses. Instead, it is made up of a semiconductor. When electricity is passed through the semiconductor, electrons are able to recombine with electron holes within the device, which releases energy in the form of visible light.
The benefits of LED vs. Fluorescent Tubes
As a relatively newer technology, LEDs contain many benefits over that of its older counterpart. These include:
- Long-term cost savings – Although LEDs are initially more expensive to buy than fluorescent tubes, they do provide a significantly better overall cost saving, offering up to 50,000 hours of light compared to just 10,000 hours of fluorescent tubes.
- Easy maintenance – Due to their longer lifespan, LEDs need to be replaced fewer times than fluorescent tubes, which will help to cut maintenance costs, especially in large buildings.
- Cleaner and cheaper – LEDs use far less energy than fluorescent tubes, which means that they’re also much cheaper to run.
- Environmentally friendly – Due to their hazardous gasses, fluorescent tubes are notoriously harmful to the environment and very can come with disposal costs to your business. LEDs, on the other hand, are completely safe.
- Better quality light – Fluorescent tubes develop an irritating flicker at the end of their life, which, as well as being annoying, can be potentially dangerous in working environments like warehouses where quality lighting is essential. High bay LED lights, for example, are perfect for lighting warehouses.
Glow with the flow
Fluorescent tubes still have their place in business lighting, especially premises that require stark lighting, such as warehouses. However, the benefits of installing LED tubes are clear to see. So, when considering LED vs. Fluorescent – LED WINS!
If you would like to invest in LED to replace fluorescent lighting, speak to the lighting experts at Simple Lighting today.